From the time I bought the car in 1985 to 1999, I didn’t really have much work done to the Chevelle. Those were the formative “broke student” years so cash wasn’t exactly available for car projects.
In 1999 I decided to start some work. I contracted a local shop to swap out the existing small block 350 motor (old, tired, 2-bbl carb) with a new GMPP ZZ4 350 crate motor:
The new ZZ4 was saddled with the old TH350 transmission (3-speed auto, in case you’re not sure)… but the rear differential had been stuffed with 3.73 gears by the previous owner, meaning driving at 65 MPH meant I was turning 3,200-3,400 RPM (yeah, absolutely no gas mileage whatsoever).
Here are some pictures of the car from 2004 to help illustrate the problems I would be facing later with the bodywork:
This basic condition lasted until 2005, when I figured it was time to do some more work.
In 2005 I contracted a different shop to do some serious work… a 700R4 4-speed auto transmission, rebuild of the rear differential with 3.55 gears and a posi, four-wheel Baer disc brakes with Boyd Coddington Smoothie II rims, Vintage Air Frontrunner serpentine system for the ZZ4 and the companion Vintage Air aftermarket A/C system, new fuel tank and lines and other small tweaks and adjustments:
More or less, the Chevelle stayed about the same from 2005 until late last year, when I began the Final Journey toward completion
Check out the Final Journey page to learn about the plan to finally finish the car, and then check out the Blog page to see how far we’ve come toward completing that plan!